Old Wives' Tales
Radio & TV
Toxin du jour
Claim: Photographs show a brown bear that was electrocuted when it chewed through a power line.
Examples: [Collected via e-mail, January, 2007]
Origins: The 600-pound brown bear pictured above met its unfortunate demise on
A child discovered the electrocuted bear while riding her bicycle on the Sisson Loop trail, a dirt path in the northern part of the park, said Robert Hughes, recreation supervisor at Kincaid. The bear was 50 yards from the popular Coastal Trail, traveled by hundreds of pedestrians, bicyclists and others every day.Last updated: 4 March 2007
The bear found at Kincaid was a healthy adult male that had made its way to the park either by passing through the residential areas near the
Sinnott estimated the bear to weigh more than 600 pounds: "He's one of the bigger brown bears I've seen in Anchorage."
He said he would not likely be able to age the animal because its teeth were burned from the electrocution.
[T]he 7-foot animal, stiff in death, lay on its side. The bear still had the wire in its mouth, its tongue and teeth burned and blackened. A patch of grass under the left foot was singed. The smell of scorched meat hung in the air.
The bear found the two wires — about the thickness of vacuum cords — by first ripping off a 3-foot high protective plastic box. It appeared that almost instantly when the bear bit into the wire, it was electrocuted. "It didn't thrash much, it was pretty quick," Sinnott said.
The bear bit into 5,000 volts of energy, according to a Chugach Electric Association spokesman Phil Steyer, who said the apparatus did not belong to the company but likely to the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, the owner of the land where the bear was found.
This material may not be reproduced without permission.
snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com.