Old Wives' Tales
Radio & TV
Toxin du jour
Claim: Rudolph Valentino died from eating food prepared in aluminum cookware.
Origins: Some things never change. In the 1920s, as now, people spread spurious rumors about the alleged dangers of harmless products
The rumors were given additional credence through the irony of claiming that the putative victims of aluminum poisoning were often doctors and cancer specialists themselves — naturally, they were the very same doctors who had declared aluminum to be safe, thus demonstrating the old adage that one reaps what one sows.
Some of the more widespread anecdotes demonstrating the alleged dangers of aluminum circulating back then were:
One of the most effective ways to discourage use of a particular product is to claim that it killed a prominent person (the younger the better), as demonstrated by rumors about Jean Harlow's death from overuse of hydrogen peroxide (don't bleach your hair, girls!) and little Mikey's demise from the explosive effects of Pop Rocks and soda. So, when screen idol Rudolph Valentino suddenly passed away from a stomach ailment (actually a perforated ulcer) at the tender age of 31 in 1926, word went out that food prepared in aluminum pots was the cause.
Although we might now dismiss these old rumors as silly, they carry a message that is still relevant today: Not everyone who seeks to warn us about dangerous products does so out of a genuine sense of concern for our welfare. Shameless profiteering is often the motive of those who start or spread such rumors.
As a postscript, we might note that perhaps echoes of these old aluminum rumors can still be found in the current common belief that Alzheimer's disease is caused or exacerbated by exposure to aluminum (particularly through the use of aluminum cookware). There is currently no hard evidence to either implicate or rule out aluminum as a major cause of Alzheimer's disease, and the belief that aluminum is a major cause was largely the product of contamination and errors in test procedures. (See the link below for more information.)
This material may not be reproduced without permission.
snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com.