Software order confirmation from Intuit.
Example: [Collected via e-mail, October 2012]
In October 2012, Internet users were spammed with phony e-mailed confirmation orders from Intuit, a financial and tax preparation software company, bearing subject lines such as "Intuit Order Status," "Intuit GoPayment Order Status update," "Intuit GoPayment Shipment Information," and "Intuit GoPayment Shipment Note."
Intuit posted an alert
on its web site about the fake e-mail,
advising recipients to:
- Do not click on the link in the email.
- Send a copy of the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do not forward the email to anyone else.
- Delete the email.
Intuit's alert also advises users that:
On the Internet, "phishing" refers to criminal activity that attempts to fraudulently obtain sensitive information.
Here's what you can do to protect yourself from a phishing attack:
- If you suspect you have received a phishing email from Intuit, please forward it immediately to email@example.com. We will look into each reported instance.
- Make sure you subscribe to an anti-virus software and keep it up-to-date.
- Make sure you have updated your web browser to one that includes anti-phishing security features, such as Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox version 3 or higher.
- Make sure that you keep up to date on the latest releases and patches for your operating systems and critical programs. These releases are frequently security related.
- Do not respond to emails asking for account, password, banking, or credit card information.
- Do not open up an attachment that claims to be a software update. We will not send any software updates via email.
- Do not respond to text messages or voicemails that ask you to call a number and enter your account number and pin.
- Make sure you have passwords on your computer and your payroll files.
1 October 2012
Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2015 by snopes.com.
This material may not be reproduced without permission.
snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com.